Instagram

05 March 2012

Shanghai's Bund, Nanjing Road Bu Xing Jie & Lost Heaven

Alrighty.. It's been a while since my Shanghai posts. This post will be a post on the girls' last day in Shanghai. I stayed on for a couple of days more with J a night extra at the hotel and the rest of the days at the 2 Christmas day hotels and then migrated and downgraded to his hostel for the last 2 days haha.

On the last day, we visited the other side of the Bund! We had to cross the river via a cab ride to get there. The wind was extremely strong that day for some weird reason so it was really cold out.


We were extremely near the Shanghai Pearl but we didn't pay it a visit though. I've been there many years back when I was last in Shanghai. Can't really remember how long ago it was actually.




So this is the view from opposite the Bund, along the River. You have to go before 4pm if you want to catch a glimpse of sun ray as Shanghai's nightfall is pretty early. (could be because it was winter)

 



 


We wanted to dine at a nice restaurant along the bund but we couldn't exactly find like a proper fine dining restaurant. I only found out later on that the restaurants are all pretty much located slightly further down from where we were cos I had an Italian lunch at the same area on Christmas Day. We ended up picking this restaurant called Red Dot Bar Restaurant that served some western food and asian food.


Here's me taking a photo of co taking a photo of me using my Nikon


I ordered the 'Red Dot' Signature Baked Pork Chop Rice priced at 52 RMB. The portions for it was amazingly huge! The pork chops were pretty good but other than that, it tasted pretty much like ordinary pork chop rice with ordinary tomato sauce with nothing very worthy mention about. It was very filling though so I give it some plus points for that.



Look at how crispy the pork chops are!


Xw's Penne with Basil Pesto and Smoked Chicken Breast; 68 RMB


Co's Risotto with Fresh Italian Pork Sausage and Black Truffle Pate; 118 RMB


We ordered the Fried Chicken Wings; 38 RMB, to share as well. They aren't exactly 'fried' as you can tell so I had no idea why they had it in the menu as 'fried chicken wings'. These were pretty yummy actually. Very juicy and tasty!

We grabbed some hot Starbucks after lunch as it was SO COLD! Corinne started hiding behind statues and what nots to hide from the cold haha. We ended taking a lot of self-timer shots for lack of better things to do..



I love this photo above because we look so extremely retarded in it.


This was when a HUGE GUST OF WIND started blowing at us and we were literally hanging on to each other for our dear lives cos it was SO CHILLY.







These are some of my favourite shots of us (:

 

This is about 4pm odd and as you can see, it was pretty dark out already.. We took a cab back across the river to Nanjing Road Bu Xing Jie which is like Shanghai's pedestrian crossing road where it is one long road which has a lot of shops selling goodies and food.

 


Loads of different sorts of skewers


A packeted chicken claw?! We saw a lot of weird things on the way..



Us getting tea for friends and family. They have all sorts of chinese tea you could ever lay eyes on.


Here's me getting a banana cos I have been craving for one haha. Bananas are one of my favourite fruits. I like the mushy mushy sort of fruits like mangoes, bananas, papaya, honeydew etc. Some people find them totally disgusting though cos of their mushy texture. Bananas are great for dancers actually if you happen to be one. They contain loads of proteins. Everytime I have international dancers coming over to Singapore, they reach for the bananas ALL. THE. TIME.


This was a shark aquarium that had real live sharks in them.


Took us quite a while to get a decent photo of us in front of the sign. lol. We grabbed a cab back to the hotel to freshen up a little before J came down to meet us and bring us for dinner.


Also took a decent photo of us in front of the hotel we lodged at before jumping into the cab.


J brought us to Lost Heaven, a restaurant specializing in Yunnan folk tribal cuisine. Opened in 2006, the restaurant has since won numerous awards for its food and its classy interior, inspired by genuine folk arts, is definitely something to rave about.

 

The interior was designed with many cultural totems and was pretty dark despite having lights around. We were initially seated somewhere in the middle of the restaurant but decided to move to a corner where it was somewhat brighter.



I was actually pretty apprehensive to try out the food as they sounded quite exotic and normally I'm not really into exotic food. As in, I prefer to order food that I'm familiar with because I think I tend to get scared of trying food that is new to me.


We ordered the Burmese Tea Leaves Salad, 60 Rmb.

It is said to have cooling effects in hot weather when you eat burmese tea leaves. The texture of it was really crispy and it was slightly spicy, quite up my alley. There were also peanut bits in it to flavour the salad. I wouldn't exactly call this a salad per say with all your greens and dressings as this was definitely more savoury. More like a starter to open up your taste buds.


This is the Lijiang Style Stir-fried Pork, 60 Rmb

This was pretty yummy and the pork was cooked perfectly. We also ordered the Da Li Style Braised Chicken in Star Anis Sauce, 60 Rmb as well which I didn't photograph because the lighting was just bad as you can tell so it was hard to get a good shot out of the food. 


This is the Miao Tribe Style Braised Crab Meat Omelette, 50 Rmb

This was SO FRIGGIN AWESOME and especially worth it for its price. They had CHUNKS and chunks of crab meat in the omelette and it was in this tomato sauce that was slightly spicy. Usually when they say 'crab meat' in a menu, I get very hesitant because some restaurants think that crab meat = crab sticks. (I'm sure we have all met with that situation before and it's just frustrating. Crab meat is not equivalent to crab sticks!!) Other times, there is usually crab meat but they are usually in small pieces and in strands. But in this dish, there was literally massive chunks of crab meat. I was pretty impressed. Needless to say, this was really yummy and went really well with rice and the other dishes we have ordered. Definitely one of our highlight dishes for dinner.


It was a very satisfying meal no less and we only paid about Sgd $12 per person for the meal? I get a very depressed feeling whenever I think about how cheap good food is in Shanghai. Why can't we have that here in Singapore as well! I'm not saying we do not have cheap and good food here in the +65, but generally to dine at a restaurant, you have to pay about $15 and above JUST for a main, which is sucky for us but awesome for the FnB industry I guess.

We went for a massage after dinner which was perfect.


A photo of J and I to end off the post.

*Freaky trivia: when I was editing this photo, I thought that there was a hand touching my hair beside me and then I got chills when I thought about it and decided to wipe that image out of my brain. Still pretty freaky no less. It's actually my coat that I have placed behind me on my seat.


Lost Heaven is located at 38 Gaoyou Lu,
near Fuxing Xi Lu
高邮路38号, 近复兴西路
Nearest Metro: Hengshan Road, 20min walk
Opening Hours: Daily, 1130am - 130pm & 530pm - 1030pm

1 comment:

C said...

the risotto sucked!