Instagram

14 March 2012

Guide to Eating Alone in Public

I have decided to do a random post for today and it shall be called 'A Guide to Eating Alone in Public'. How many of you have actually eaten alone in public before? I mean, I understand that some people fear eating alone and honestly, that shouldn't be the case, but to each his own prerogative. People think that someone who eats alone in public should be labelled as a 'loser'. J always calls me a 'loser' when I tell him I ate lunch alone that day, or watch a movie alone that day etc. Shopping alone doesn't count because he can't be bothered to anymore since my spending habits when I actually have free time to do so, is very terribly horrendous. Only up till I found out that, he also eat lunches alone in the school canteen -_-

When did I started eating alone in public? Hmm.. I think it started way back in Secondary school days? Although not so much since I was surrounded by my friends mostly. Only when I went back to Nanyang to do my coursework painting on Saturdays and Sundays in school, when I'm too lazy to pack food back to school, I would just eat alone at Coronation Plaza. It is really not that hard. Many people eat alone and it is not gossip-worthy anyway. You just find a seat, order your food, eat and then leave! 

Subsequently after JC life, I started eating out alone sometimes because there are days I want to be completely and 100% ALONE. It's not that I do not like the company of friends and loved ones, but I am the sort of person who needs to close her door or shut myself out from people around me just to be alone. When I'm alone, I don't have to constantly chat with the person, I don't have to think of a topic to talk about to not let the conversation float in mid-air and I just basically don't have to process anything in my brain. I was mentally and physically alone and it is a very calming and therapeutic experience. It was awesome.

I have ate alone at food courts with lots of people eating during lunch time. This was great because I can buy my food and randomly sit down at a table with someone else eating alone as well! I mean, it's not like I am going to talk to the stranger or anything but, those people who eat in a bunch or group during lunch time have it hard since they have to work very hard just to find a table that can squeeze everyone in it. It's so easy to find a seat for 1! I have also eaten at fast food restaurants or your ordinary restaurants like fish n co or billy bombers. I don't find it extremely awkward or embarrassing actually to just say very confidently, "Seat for 1 please". Sometimes, the waiter will give you a look but it's not a very blatant in your face 'hahaha you are such a loser' face. More like a slightly surprised face I would like to think. Some restaurants like NYDC are great because after the lunch crowd clears, there is nobody inside and there's free WIFI! So I once brought my laptop there to do my work and eat a bowl of pasta at the same time. Efficiency at its best!

There are people who have mentioned to me before that they will never ever eat alone in public and I do not judge. However my logic is that, IF YOU'RE HUNGRY, THEN YOU HAVE TO EAT! Unless you wanna get terrible gastric pangs or something. Sometimes, my job is so hectic that I can't even find meal slots in between meetings or classes so I wasn't able to grab a bite. But if your excuse to not eating when you're extremely beyond terribly hungry is that you don't wanna be caught eating alone, then I'll say that that is really silly!

So here's a Step by Step Guide to Eating Alone in Public.

1. If it's your first time eating out alone, try to go before the lunch crowd packs in, or if you can't leave early for lunch, try to go after the major lunch crowd clears, say 2pm onwards. Eating areas are generally less busy and much quieter at this time of the day. If you're working in the CBD area, it is a plus plus since it's usually crazy packed during lunch hours and you see tissue paper or umbrellas everywhere on the table. (btw, I really dislike that gesture by Singaporeans. Sad to admit that sometimes, it is indeed necessary)

2. Usually, the best place to eat alone is at a restaurant. Choose a quiet restaurant that doesn't have that many people. Usually, these are the restaurants that are not as popular or new and it's great because you get to try new things and relay to others about a new place that you've recently found out about.

3. Get the waiter to seat you at a far corner of the restaurant. I like corner seats generally because they are slightly cosier. If you do not like to face the crowd outside the restaurant, or in fear someone may spot you eating alone when they walk past, try sitting so that you're back facing the crowd. I would not recommend you sit facing the wall though because not only will it be hard to talk to the waiter, the people on the other tables may just be talking about how weird you are and they could be gesturing so badly just because you can't see them doing so! So yes, face your other fellow diners instead. I like facing them in any case because it's like people-watching. 

4. While waiting for your food to arrive, do something like read a magazine you picked up along the way or bring one with you when you're going for lunch. I find magazines a very good cover-up for awkward situations. Like say, you don't like staring at other diners while waiting for your food, read the magazine! Not only does it provide you with visual entertainment, it keeps you occupied till your food arrives and you're ready to dig into it.

5. Alternatively, you could pretend to be busy by checking facebook, updating your twitter or play a game etc on your smartphone whilst waiting. You could even do this between bites of your food so it doesn't seem like you're gorging down on your food cos you wanna leave so badly, afraid of people thinking you're a loser for eating alone. Social media has become such a fast trend in Singapore and most people out there (you guys), have smartphones which allow you to do all these things and not have your friends complain about everyone using their phones at the table. 

6. If you're really bored, instead of people-watching and doing the above mentioned, you could also eavesdrop on someone else's conversations. HAHA. I mean, it's really not my fault that you're sitting next to me in the restaurant and I could hear every word that you're saying to the other party. Sometimes, the conversations people have with one another are so hilariously Singaporean that it makes for good entertainment. I especially like it when office ladies gossip about what's going on in the office, or when they talk about bimbotic stuff like sales and stuff. I once had a neighbor diner that has 3 phones. She explains to her friends that 1 is for work, 1 for family and 1 for friends and social life. (whuttttt?) Why in the world does someone need 3 phones for? 2 I can understand. (BUT 3?!?!)

7. If you feel the need to, call someone to talk to so it seems to other people that you're actually extremely well-liked and have physical friends other than being an absolute loner. It can be your boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend or whatever. Sometimes, it really helps because it gives you that extra confidence boost. Just don't mention to whoever is on the line that you're eating alone if that person is the sort of person who judges people for doing that. 

8. OH YES. and sometimes I pretend to laugh to myself. HAHAHA. Like I would see something funny on my phone and make an effort to let out a soft giggle. I mean, usually when we read something hilarious and we're all alone, we'll just go like meh this is funny and continue on. Generally, if you're with someone and you come across funny, you will tend to laugh out loud and show the other party what you are laughing about. So yes, laughing out loud slightly HELPS to make you feel like you're not actually alone. When people see you laughing out loud to yourself whilst looking at a magazine or your phone, they would get the vibe that you're not a socially awkward person too. Please just do not laugh to yourself at nothing. That would just be plain weird. :/

I'm not entirely sure if there's anything more that I should add on. I should do a post on 'Guide to Watching a Movie Alone in Public' too HAHA. Just for fun. Honestly guys, you don't need a person to sit down with you and eat with you before you can eat your food too. Like, I find it stressful sometimes to eat with someone who eats 10x faster than me OR 10x slower than me. I feel like there's a constant need to keep up with that person's pace or slow down my eating rate just because I find it plain weird to be staring at another person eat while your plate is empty. Especially when I eat faster than girls, so I feel like a glutton for eating so quickly when I'm actually just eating at my normal pace. I have also found the perfect solution to this and that is to take more food photos before I actually dig in so that everyone would have already started eating before I even touched my food!

So yes, I like to be alone at times. So stop thinking that you are not able to eat out alone and try it out for yourself! (unless you are a tai tai and must be surrounded by tai tai friends or seen eating with people that are worth being seen together with you) I hope this guide has helped you in a way or another!

(:

No comments: