Instagram

04 July 2011

Bangkok #2

We went to Bangkok during their General Elections so there was alot of precautionary measures that we were supposed to take or were forewarned about. For example, not wearing red or yellow so on and so forth. Some of the posters had images of an election candidate carrying dogs or babies. We later found out from Jesse's thai friend that those weren't actually campaign posters, they were HATE posters put up by the candidate's haters. Wow. People in Bangkok do have alot of time and effort to do such things as those hate posters were really Everywhere.




We were on our way to Chatuchak/JJ Market that day and to meet Jesse's thai friend. We took the train there, no joke bout taking the train everywhere we went! Anyway, his friend was caught in a jam so we had some time to kill in the park that was near Chatuchak.


Watched little thai kids playing and feeding pigeons. I have always grown up thinking that pigeons are very dirty creatures. I'm not necessarily scared of them but I heard when I was young that you cannot allow their faeces to drop on you as their droppings are poisonous. Not sure if it was ever true but yeah.



 





Okay, as you can tell, we were obviously quite bored as we waited quite a while for him.

One of the many food stalls at JJ


Had lunch first before we started shopping. It was pretty cool as his friend could order the food in thai.


One of the more interesting things we saw at Chatuchak instead of just clothes - Heart-shaped egg candle!

 Super real-life looking dimsum and cakes. All are candles!

Beer candles!
The stall owner was very nice as I asked him for permission before taking any photos as I knew I wasn't going to buy any. Was contemplating on getting one for my dad but he would probably think of it as impractical.


This dog here is too cute! It kept leaping into my arms whenever I tried to pat it. That's his little hiding spot to sleep in. The owner of the dog also showed me a photo of his parents!

Ultimate cuteness!

Bulb in a bottle

The mango shakes here are mad cheap! and tastes really good.


We had a buffet dinner at Baiyoke Sky later with J's thai friend's family. Baiyoke Sky is the hotel I frequent all the time whenever I come to BKK. It's central and very near Platinum Mall. The only down side about it is that it is very far from Chitlom BTS. Anyway, the food spread for dinner was awesome. I had it before when I was there with my family. They had everything from western to italian to japanese and indian. Ate until I was really stuffed.



What on earth is a Tree ear mushroom ice-cream!? Worst thing was I thought it was Cookies and Cream ice-cream and tasted it. It tasted really weird so we just left it there on the counter and opted for Chocolate instead haha. When in doubt, always choose chocolate.



Went up to the revolving rooftop sky deck to view the city from above. It was very windy up there as well and we had to wait quite a while for the lift to go up.



View of the city



Bumped into a very stubborn dog which refused to budge and was blocking the pathway. It was very near the mango pushcart so I'm guessing he wants mangoes? haha


The door knobs on the front door of our hotel. The hotel security guard is so weird. He stops us everytime we went back to the hotel and didn't believe we were guests of the hotel. We stayed there for 4 nights and he only started recognizing us on the 4th day.

Anyway, we stayed at the Grand President Hotel. Not a very wise choice to book the hotel as they charge tax for the room per person. It amounted up to quite a bit and we felt like we were being cheated. Nobody pays room tax. Seriously.


We went to many places on the last day of our trip and our first stop was Union Mall. I thought it opened at 10am and when we got there, we saw many people sitting on the steps and found out later that they only start business at 11am. Ended up walking around the streets for a while and getting us some mango sticky rice for breakfast.


Sitting on the steps and waiting for the mall to open.


We decided that we should have lunch first as most of the shops are not opened yet when we got in. This was one of their many buffet restaurants but I wasn't feeling very hungry in the morning so we ventured into the basement foodcourt. Ended up ordering from this Western stall as it was the only store with English words on their menu!


The food was actually pretty tasty. Not many photos of us shopping after our lunch as I didn't take any. It was my virgin trip to Union Mall and it was not bad. They had alot of tech stuff as well so if you're looking for handphone covers and accessories, here's the place to go to. I especially LOVE the highest floor as they had this whole section dedicated to thrift stores. I got myself quite a few good steals so it was great. (:


Their karaoke rooms look even nicer than ours here in Singapore

This was tea-break before we headed back to our hotel to dump our shopping bags in the room first before going out for dinner.


Started laying their mats at 430pm when we were about to leave.


Spotted this old man on the train on our way back. Nice hat.


We checked out the pool at the rooftop and decided we had enough time to take a dip in the pool before dinner.


We only stayed in the pool for a while because the water was seriously too cold and the wind was very strong! So silly of us.


But we found out that MOO means PORK in thai. Jesse wanted to have some meatballs at Union Mall earlier on but we didn't know if it was pork or beef as the both of us don't take beef. So the stall-owner said MOO to him and we thought she meant COW. (since that's what the sound cows make) Kicking ourselves in the butt later when we found out that MOO means PORK! Oh well. Now we know.


Went to MBK later on to hunt for my coloured polaroid films.




We had dinner at a thai restaurant at Siam Paragon.



Minced pork with chili and basil


After dinner, we took a train down to Silom Night Market. It rained for a while whilst we were walking along the streets. We also somehow ventured into a gay alley where there were gay massages and clubs and you see them holding hands in the alley. It was very weird because they were inviting us in for massages and you see 3 hunky chunky men waiting inside. No way am I going to let myself be massaged by them haha.

I managed to find Boots as well! I had no idea they stocked Soap & Glory! and they were going for sale so I had to buy a few items. Went back at around 1+am for a massage near our hotel.

I was so tired the next day that I slept the whole way back on the flight back to Singapore. I didn't even wake up to eat the meal that they had onboard. It was a great trip nevertheless. (:

No comments: