Instagram

13 January 2012

Seoul (Bibap, Movie and Snow!)


Having breakfast at our favourite stalls beside the hotel


The second day for us was quite lazy because we woke up late due to clubbing and getting back to the hotel late the day before. Hence, we decided to do some MAJOR cosmetic shopping opposite the hotel where all the shops are.


Just check out our huge haul! haha. The sales people in the shop also gave us a lot of samples to try! At that point of time, we were also trying to get the tv in our room fixed so I called the front desk and they sent someone up to check what was wrong with our tv. He looked super amazed to see our loot cos he literally had to step over it to take a closer look at the tv


That night, Xw went to meet her friends who were also in Seoul at that time while Co and I went to catch a Korean cooking musical. We decided to grab some grub near the hotel before heading for the show.

 

It was a very small cosy restaurant and it was interesting looking at all the Koreans who were having their meals there as well. I like the fact that in Korea, they serve you side dishes like Kimchi, radish and soup once you get seated. (probably is also a tactic so that you don't leave after taking a seat)


I ordered the Kimchi cheese fried seafood rice. It was super cheesy and the rice had a spicy kick to it. I've heard many great reviews about kimchi cheese rice so I definitely had to try it while I was in Korea.


They also served Kimchi fried rice without the cheese as well.

I believe the meal costs us about S$7 each? They even served dishes like an entire chicken chop or steak and it looked so inviting but the portions were also huge and I definitely couldn't finish it up on my own.


Walked past another of those Korean street performances on our way to the train station. I think these performances usually happen on the weekend. There were a lot of people watching the performances and it seemed like a very supportive environment for the dancers.


These girls were performing the dance cover of Be My Baby by Wondergirls. I can safely say that that song is like our theme song for the entire Korea trip. It keeps playing EVERYWHERE. Co and I ended up hooked to it and it became our ear-candy.

If you have no clue who are the Wondergirls and how the song sounds like,

Here it is:



To catch the show, we had to take the train to City Hall station. Amazing how the name 'City Hall' appears in many many countries. The performance was located at the CJ E&M Music Live studio itself and it was a short 10minute walk from one of the exits at City Hall although I can't recall which exit.



The set for Bibap. The studio was surprisingly quite packed. I believe they were mainly from tour groups as they came in batches.


Basically, it was a cooking musical where the performers actually COOKED on stage. Well, for show mostly. I need to rave about the BEATBOXERS that they have. The entire show had NO MUSIC at all and all the sound effects and music came from the two beatboxers on stage. I can't begin to describe to you how fking amazing they were! I was so impressed.

They even had really cool effects on stage and the show was INTERACTIVE. There were scenes whereby they invite a member of the audience up (and I believe they're not like acting audience) to participate in some of their scenes. Like they invited a lady and a man up on stage and made them have dinner in the MIDDLE OF THE STAGE. How amazing is that! I found the musical very entertaining and it is very accessible to the audience. You don't have to be well-read about the arts to enjoy this performance and that's what makes it great for the general public.

I told Corinne that it's an excellent show to bring to Singapore because of the easy accessibility. Guess what, THEY ARE COMING! 30 March to 1 April at the Esplanade Theatres. Tickets are retailing from $38 to $80 and are available on the sistic website now.

I'm extremely glad we caught it while we were in Korea because we only paid about $25! AND the theatre we were in was a small one, making the performance a more intimate one for the audience because you can see their expressions clearly from where you are sitting, unlike in the huge Esplanade theatre. Can you imagine if you were sitting all the way up at Circle 2 or something? PLUS since the show in Korea was in their usual studio, they were able to invest in some pretty awesome lighting fixtures that I'm guessing will be hard and expensive to ship to Singapore.


We took pictures with the cast! The beatboxers are the two guys on the left. The rest are all singers in the show and each are great in their own way. The girl with the black hair has very strong vocals and the blonde girl has a super high-pitched voice and could hit very high notes. The two cuter guys are singers and B-boys! They did quite a bit of b-boying on stage so yes, you could say that this show was pretty much very 'chapalang' as we call it. They really put every skill they have to play.


Hilarious photo of them and us.


After the show, Co and I went to Myeongdong to meet up with Xw and her friends. Grabbed a cappuccino from Coffee Muffin which tasted pretty good


We decided to catch a movie! It was a scary comedy which revolves the idea around this girl who is haunted by her best friend who died in a road accident. I thought the show was really nice although I didn't get the ending at all.

Tickets cost us about 9,000won each so it was pretty pricey. However, I believe it was all made up for when we sat on those cushiony comfy seats in the theatre. It was in English so the theatre only had us and another group of people so it was really empty.


They had really funny advertisements as well.


When the movie ended, we stepped out of the building to realise it was SNOWING! Omg I was so happy. I don't care if it was considered as lousy snow, it was still snow! I have never seen snow in my life. #suaku




Pretty lights of the shopping center near our hotel. We stayed in Dongdaemun so there were many shopping centers that were opened 24/7. Went shopping for a short while and ate some street food before heading back to the hotel. (okay, only I ate since I'm such a supper junkie)


I was really quite excited to see snow.


This poor dog was probably freezing to death. I wonder if dogs in Korea get used to the cold climate there after a while. I mean, I see dogs on the streets roaming around without dog clothes on or anything and here I'm thinking, "the poor dog must be freezing!"


It stopped snowing the next day. ):

No comments: