Instagram

05 January 2012

Christmas Day in Shanghai! (Part Two)

After brunch, we took a short stroll to the Shanghai Marine Aquarium which was about a 10minutes walk from where we were.



Tickets are priced at 160yuan for an adult which is kinda pricey (S$33) but it was worth it. At least to me. I wanted to visit the aquarium in Yeouido back in Korea but didn't get the chance to visit it while I was there so this was a very good substitute.


This was a petting shark whereby you can touch the back of it's skin. We were made to wash our hands before petting the shark. It felt very scaly and rough.



These were a bunch of Chinese alligators. Now the scary part - the tank was not fully covered with glass. Meaning... you can actually pop your head and reach your hand INTO the tank. WHAT?!? I was quite shocked, I mean, it's slightly dangerous no? But the alligators were quite chillax. The whole time I was in front of the tank, they did not move at all. And they were really ginormous.

The aquarium had about 4 levels. The down-side about the visit was just that, once you move on to another level, you can't go back up to re-visit that level. (which resulted in kids getting lost cos their parents can't find them)



My favourite has got to be the jellyfish section in the aquarium. It was so AMAZING. I have never seen anything like it before, almost till the point where it actually felt magical.


They were in a tank that had lights that changed color every few seconds, creating almost like a light art show. Wonderful. Singapore should really have something like this.


We also visited the seals, something that you can't view in Singapore. The seals were so huge! Larger than I had expected. Then again, it could have been that the glass was magnifying, resulting in their larger than life appearance.



Sharks!


Jesse looking in awe at the sharks hahaha.





The sea turtles were another highlight for me. I don't think I've ever seen a sea turtle in real life before, except on national geographic. Neither have I seen seals before. It was so amazing getting to see them in front of you for the first time.

I mean, most people would probably chuckle at the fact that I want to go visit an aquarium so badly, but it's really a spectacle. No kidding. I feel that by visiting aquariums or like zoos in other countries, you can learn so much about the kind of creatures that are living in the area and see things that you have never ever seen before.



Sea turtle soft toys. So cute!


Would have been a nice photo if not for that aunty in the background who has her tongue stuck out haha


The pearl during sunset. By the way, nightfall for Shanghai is super early. Like, it would probably have been pitch dark by the time it was 5pm.



 

I love my red cape. Got it while I was in Korea at Ewha for about S$45. It was pretty worth it considering they were selling in China's 七浦路 for about S$50 odd. I have this new found obsession for red since a year ago. I don't like the chili red, but the bright crimson red and mainly maroons or burgundy. I like capes also for the fact that they are shorter and doesn't cover up the sleeves so whatever you are wearing underneath your cape can actually be seen I guess


We proceeded on to Taojiang Road to get my surprise gift.


Tadah! Cookery stuff. So happy (: They have the same branch in Singapore as well located in Chip Bee Gardens. They recently changed their name from Pantry Magic to Lemon Zest. No idea why though, since Pantry Magic sounds so much nicer to the ears to me.

I came out of the store with one cupcake stand, 3 cake moulds, 1 wooden spoon (AWESOME SPOON! I LOVE IT), a few souffle moulds, a gravy boat and a tiny pot. All of which I brought on board with me on the flight home obviously. We went further down the street and found MORE cook stuff at incredible prices like $2-$5 and I couldn't resist because... I thought, since I'm already bringing fragile stuff back, why not bring more? haha.


Went back to the hotel to drop our stuff and relax a bit as our dinner seating was only at 930pm.

 


I'm wearing a rabbit-fur tunic bought from 七浦路 and overlay it with the purpley sparkley dress I bought from H&M in SG. The tunic was super comfy and keeps me warm.


Went to have dinner at Mr and Mrs Bund located along the Bund of course!


The interior of the restaurant. It was really crowded that night and they had a game of Bingo going on in the restaurant itself which I found pretty interesting.


Jesse managed to get us a seat by the window so I could have a view of the bund (:





The bread that they served was really fragrant. I am a sucker for good white bread. They served us really good butter and awesome tuna in that gold tin can you see on the right. Jesse says it's the best tuna he has ever had. They also served us Evian water which we had to pay for (we realised in the receipt later on haha)

We ordered LOTS OF FOOD. Let's begin with the starters.


 


For starters, we had a Soft egg mayo consisting of a soft poached egg with mayonnaise. (60yuan) Also, we had a Little Caesar "bacon" which is technically a 'wet' traditional Caesar salad with bacon (80yuan)

The bacon they used in the salad was no ordinary bacon and it was super flavourful with all the chips in the salad bowl as well.


The egg mayo was super awesome as well, although eating too much of it will probably give you high cholesterol. The yolk was slightly overpowering when mixed with the mayonnaise so it'll be good to have it with the bread.

We ordered THREE MAINS.


Crispy duck leg confit with roasted ceps garlic and seared foie gras
200yuan


It was pretty yummy although it could have been more tender. The sauce made it slightly chinese-tasting.


 


We ordered the Scallops lemon-ginger
(seared scallops with olive oil, lemon, soy, garlic, ginger and coriander)
170yuan

and the

Lamb cutlets truffle new meuniere
(pan roasted lamb cutlets, light meuniere, truffle and mashed potato)
280 yuan

The scallops were from Dalian and were pretty fresh although I preferred the Hokkaido scallops we had back at OChre. The lamb was really nice. We had the meat well done, the way we like it and the meat really went very well with the mashed. YUM.


We also ordered a Spinach garlic asiate with garlic butter, sesame oil and soy (50yuan) for sides.

 

Us looking super contented with our food. (:

 

For desserts, we ordered a Home-made Nutella ice-cream with tuile sable; 35 yuan, and a Pomelo Thai Fruit Sashimi (pomelo slices, thai lime caramel dip and lime popping sugar); 65 yuan

I thought the nutella ice-cream tasted a bit sour somehow but I love the tuile!

All in all, we spent about S$200 on dinner. The food was of a good standard I must say and the portions were enough to keep you full. (unless if you choose the scallops as your only main) I think it was quite worth it to pay for good quality French food.



Ended the night off with a lovely LUSH treat. <3


Mr & Mrs Bund is located at Bund 18, 6F
18 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road,
Shanghai 200002, China
上海 黄浦区Bund18  中山东一路18号
Tel: +86 (0)21 6323 9898
Website: www.mmbund.com

2 comments:

Lanzer said...

Singapore Underwater World already has the jellyfish display with changing lights. Great blog, love the pictures you took.

Amelia K said...

Oh I def need to pay a trip there soon then! Thanks (: