Instagram

12 August 2011

Grandma's Birthday at Beng Hiang


To celebrate my grandma's and uncle's birthday, we went to this Chinese restaurant located at the corner of Amoy Street. It was probably a few metres away from where I used to work - IMG Artistes' office. I've heard pretty good reviews about this restaurant but haven't got a chance to dine there until now.



Star of the day - My grandma


The restaurant was very noisy, mostly because I think there were many China citizens dining whilst we were there. No offence but they do talk much louder than the locals. I think it kinda affected the mood of the dinner because we couldn't hear each other from across the table. That's how noisy it was there.


I <3 shou taos!


I do not eat Shark's fin and haven't been eating it for years, I think ever since Secondary 1 or 2 when I learnt about the cruel facts of shark finning. This was fish maw soup. Usually, I don't even drink it even when I know it was fish maw soup only because I'm worried there might be shark bits inside, but they were pretty sure about this one so I thought to just have a few mouthfuls.


This was the prawns dish with mushrooms and vegetables. The prawns had this slightly charred taste which I love. Really yummy prawns!


Steamed fish!


Scallops with tofu. The scallops tasted really sweet, but nothing could beat the Hokkaido scallops J and I had on my birthday this year.




Kung Ba Pao. I'm really weird, I don't like the taste of the meat usually so I just end up eating the buns alone. I love the buns!!





See the cake on the table? It's a jelly cake. I do not get why the older generations love having jelly cake though, probably cos they do not like how sweet sponge cakes nowadays taste. But to me, a jelly cake does not equate to a proper cake!


Birthday star and her grandchildren
(1 missing - in Aussie)


I love this photo!


Black sesame abohling


and the colorful jelly cake which I do not like.

Dinner was good. I'm not sure of the prices because my uncle footed the bill. It was slightly too noisy for my liking but it's probably not the restaurant's fault with regards to that issue.


Beng Hiang Restaurant is located at
112 Amoy Street
Tel: 6221 6695

No comments: