Instagram

05 November 2012

Buyan Russian Haute Cuisine & Caviar Bar


RESTAURANT WEEK 2012 SERIES
Buyan Russian Haute Cuisine & Caviar Bar


Borscht
Beetroot and Cabbage soup with Tender Beef Strips served with Sour Cream

This is the first year I've attended Singapore's annual Restaurant week whereby many restaurant have collaborated to be a part of this event. Basically, the restaurants involved will have a separate 'unique' lunch and dinner menu at a slightly more affordable prices than usual to allow new customers a chance to taste their food at a discount. The restaurants seek to gain a new following of customers whilst foodaholics see this as an opportunity to eat great food for less.

First restaurant we visited was a Russian restaurant located along Duxton Hill.

For starters, we had the Beetroot and Cabbage soup with Tender Beef Strips as seen above. The beef strips were sliced very thinly, a tad bit sad in terms of portion. There were stringy cabbage/beetroot slices in the soup (or actually to be honest, I have no idea what it is because my memory fails me) and I thought it was a bit overwhelming to the soup because you cannot enjoy the soup alone without these bits and pieces landing up in your serving spoon. Overall, I thought the soup was mediocre.


Varenyky
Dough Pockets with Mushroom Filling

These dough pockets were stuffed with savoury mushroom bits. They kinda look like wantons with a filling of mushroom instead of your traditional pork/prawn filling. I must say these were pretty delicious. The mushrooms were moist and the filling oozes out so delectably when you bite into the dough pocket, reminding me of soup in XLBs. However, the dough pockets were so tiny! We tried our best to savour them while they lasted on the plate.


Shashlyk
Char-grilled Trio of Chicken, Lamb & Trout

For Mains, it was a choice between the char-grilled trio or slow-cooked beef (which will sound very excellent for people who love and take steak). We settled for a trio platter. Portions may look small, but it was seriously filling. Out of the chicken, lamb and trout, I would say the chicken has got to be my favourite. It was simply grilled to perfection and the marinate really sank into the meat while it was on the grill so every bite was heavenly. The lamb was also done really well and I'm biased with fish so I would say I like the trout the least but overall, this trio platter was definitely worth the mention. On the side, you get nicely grilled onions and peppers and a serving of tomato puree sauce.




It was definitely a good main course to have during the meal. You get to try 2 meats and a fish for the price of 1. What more can I say?


Medovik
Traditional Honey-Based Cake served with Forest Berries Jam


On to desserts, we first had the Honey-based cake with forest berries jam. The cake had a nice texture to it. It was sweet with the layers of honey in between the layers but surprisingly, not too sweet. The cake isn't done in sponge though, which is traditionally how I like all my cakes to be. It was definitely an eye-opener and the Forest Berries Jam helped contrast the sweetness of the cake with a tinge of sour.



And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, I have saved the best for last.


Napoleon
Russian Millefeuille with Each Layer Saturated with Vanilla Cream


Tell me you are not even salivating now already just by looking at the photo and name of it. It is a stack of crispy puff pastry layered with vanilla cream between layers and drizzled with a good glob of vanilla cream. The puff pastry shatters so easily in your mouth and every bite you take, you are just tasting a mix of vanilla cream and pastry. It's heavenly I tell you. It's the sort of thing where you smile so happily to yourself when it's in your mouth and you purse your lips in delight. Yes, please go ahead and imagine that face of mine when I was taking my time eating it.

 

The plate was clean after I was done with this dessert, save for some pastry crumbs.
Hands down the best dessert I've had during my entire restaurant week and I would definitely head back to the restaurant JUST FOR THIS. <3


BUYAN RUSSIAN HAUTE CUISINE & CAVIAR BAR
9/10 Duxton Hill, Singapore 089593
Tel: +65 6223 7008
Opening Hours: (Restaurant) Tue to Sun - 12noon to 12midnight 
(Bar) Wed - 12noon to 12midnight | Thur to Fri - 12noon to 1am | Sat - 12noon to 2am

No comments: